Thursday, September 2, 2010

How to make Jambalaya in Hong Kong? Open the box.



I know you cannot believe I can get Zatarain's in Hong Kong.
We are so international y'all!

Although simple and delicious to only open the box and follow the directions,
I like to add my own flavor.

Shrimp. Easy to come by here in China. Raw, peeled and deveined. I use shrimp because I cannot get any good sausage. I tried to use Chinese Sausage, but the flavor was too powerful and overwhelmed the dish. I also tried chorizo, but it was too greasy. I really don't trust the chicken here quite yet, and you already know about ham in Hong Kong, so shrimp seemed like the best choice for me. But, you can use anything you can get your lucky little Western (or if you're really lucky, your Louisiana) hands on.



Onions and celery and/or anything you have in the fridge. (garlic, bell pepper, red onion etc) Saute until soft. Move most to another bowl.

Next, saute the shrimp until pink using the same wok or pot you just softened the onions in. The flavor of the butter and onions will be locked into those shrimp. It only take a few seconds for those shrimp to cook, so don't take your eye off of them.

Move the shrimp and set aside for later. Leave them out of the Jambalaya until the very end.

Put the onions back into the wok and follow the directions on the box. Adding a can of tomatoes and a little less water than recommend on account of the juice from the canned tomatoes.

Cook this down and cover.

It will get thicker, stir once in a while to make sure it is not sticking to the bottom.
When it is finished, turn off the flame and throw in the shrimp. Serve it up with a nice green salad with balsamic vinegar and french bread. Delicious.

3 comments:

Post your comment in 4 easy steps...
1. Write your comment in the box below.
2. Choose NAME/URL as your type of profile.
3. Type in your name, it will appear with your comment.
4. Click POST COMMENT

Related Posts with Thumbnails