Thursday, February 10, 2011

Lent

Mardi Gras is around the corner and that means Lent is right behind it. Most people outside of Louisiana don't know that Mardi Gras is linked to this religious time for many Christians. Lent starts the day after Mardi Gras, Ash Wednesday. Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday, is the last day to get in all the good food before repenting and giving up certain foods and habits for the next 40 days of Lent, hence, "Fat Tuesday."
Typically meat is not eaten on Friday during Lent and most New Orleans restaurants participate and serve delicious seafood specials each Friday. Growing up,our school cafeteria never served meat on Friday during lent. McDonald's even brings back the Fish Filet this time of year, advertising heavily. Fish frys are everywhere too, as are yummy crawfish boils.

This year, my husband and I are going a little farther than meatless Fridays...
We are going to give up meat and dairy for Lent. (seafood and eggs will not count)

Stay tuned to how we get on with this huge commitment. I will post recipes as we go and please tell me if you have a favorite meat free/ dairy free meal you love.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad







- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

  1. That is a huge commitment. I have never given anything up for Lent but I was raised Presbyterian and they don't do that. It wasn't until college I heard of people giving things up.

    ReplyDelete

Post your comment in 4 easy steps...
1. Write your comment in the box below.
2. Choose NAME/URL as your type of profile.
3. Type in your name, it will appear with your comment.
4. Click POST COMMENT

Related Posts with Thumbnails