Wednesday, February 2, 2011

What's for Dinner? Wednesday



What's for dinner Wednesday is my new weekly post of what my family is having for dinner. I struggle thinking of new ideas each week, but just the other day I saw a friend's grocery list and her menu inspired me. She had things I had forgotten about and vice versa, so we swapped ideas about family dinners and hurray...What's for Dinner Wednesdays began. So, why not share my ideas with y'all and y'all can share with me. Feel to use these ideas at your own table.




Tonight: Homemade Pizza and a Green Salad


Warning! This is so easy.

I am sure many of you already do the homemade pizzas. I am a big fan of using what I already have on hand in the fridge and Pizza is the perfect way to use up leftovers. Remember, it doesn't have to be traditional. Tonight my pizza has roasted eggplant and pumpkin topped with caramelized red onions, bell peppers, deli pepperoni, cilantro, tomatoes and mozzarella.
(feta would have been better, but I did not have it on hand)





Use a store bought crust. They come in biscuit rolls, in the bread aisle and at some stores the bakery has the dough pre made and cut. In HK I found the Jiffy brand mix, but when in was at the butcher getting my pepperoni, he told me that they carry the pre made bases, I just had to ask the bakery. Ask I did and that cut down a lot of prep time and mess. I crisp mine before I add toppings.

My butcher also suggested picking up a rotisserie chicken ( half price after 7 pm), slicing and using BBQ sauce as the base, top with red onions and a nice cheese. Yumm! Save that idea....


For my green salad I used Living Lettuce. I hope you've heard of it and can get it at your local grocery. If not, let me explain this genius idea...it is a head of lettuce that is planted on a sponge and the sponge and roots are never cut, even as it is packaged, so the lettuce is still growing, still nutrient rich, crisp and delicious by the time it gets to the grocery and even as it sits in your fridge. You will not have soggy, floppy lettuce with living lettuce.
I only had a tad bit of my store bought dressing, so I used the container and added olive oil and vinegar and some salt and pepper to make enough for a few more servings. The herbs and spices that had sunk to the bottom get new life and add great flavor to the new, updated dressing. It's easy, economical and is even green, as you reuse the bottle.

A few cucumber slices, tomatoes and that's all I need for my salad. Well,I also added some toasted ramen, since we are in China! The pizza is loaded with veggies already, so this works out to be a pretty well balanced meal. (Note: I did not say low cal or low fat)

- Posted using B from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post your comment in 4 easy steps...
1. Write your comment in the box below.
2. Choose NAME/URL as your type of profile.
3. Type in your name, it will appear with your comment.
4. Click POST COMMENT

Related Posts with Thumbnails