Monday, December 6, 2010

Satsumas

One thing that I love love love and really missed this time of year from home... the South Louisiana Satsuma. My dad always returns  home this time of year with sacks of them from our hunting camp, and we would be more excited over them than anything else he brought home.  I could eat the whole sack. Seedless, juicy, tiny and sweet.  As a child I would perch the pealed fruit on my finger and dance around before breaking it in half and enjoying section by section. 

But, just yesterday....out of the corner of my eye....I saw what looked like a satsuma at my local grocery.  I rushed over, it felt squishy, full of air...just like home. I could not be sure until I got home and opened it...and yes, yall!! It is a satsuma, just like home! I got to thinking....how on earth did this little Louisiana delicacy make it this far?

Well, the answer is simple. It originates over here, in Japan, to be exact.

Wikipedia taught me the rest...

In China, it is known as Wenzhou migan. The Japanese name is a result of the local reading of the same characters used in the Chinese, the name meaning "Honey Citrus of Wenzhou" in both languages. It is also often known as "Seedless mandarin". The Korean name for the fruit is gyul .

The Chinese and Japanese names reference Wenzhou, a city in the Zhejiang Province of China known for its citrus production. However, it has also been grown in Japan since ancient times, and the majority of cultivars grown in China today were cultivated in Japan and reverse-introduced into China in modern times.


Aint it a funny, small little world yall? 

2 comments:

  1. Guess what? We have by the sackful here in Honduras. They are available at this time of year on every street corner. Love them, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post your comment in 4 easy steps...
1. Write your comment in the box below.
2. Choose NAME/URL as your type of profile.
3. Type in your name, it will appear with your comment.
4. Click POST COMMENT

Related Posts with Thumbnails