Friday, August 20, 2010

French Market Doughnuts

1 package yeast 
1/2 cup lukewarm water
1 egg beaten, room temperature
1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon salt
1 cup canned evaporated milk, room temperature
3 cups flour, sifted 
Vegetable oil
Powdered sugar


Now, my grandmother would have stopped at the 3 cups flour.  She says, "Anytime it says sift the flour, I turn the page, too much work is going to be involved."

 I was able to find all the ingredients at my local grocery store, the yeast is not in a package, it is in a jar, so I just guessed how much a packet would be. Plus, I have no measurement tools in cups or table spoons...so I guessed there and I also misread the ingredients and added an entire can of evaporated milk- oops. I told you I was no professional.

I made this the night before we wanted the doughnuts, and I kept checking on the dough to make sure it was rising. It was. I was so proud. But in the morning, I guess I put too much yeast, cause the dough had risen all the way to the wet cloth I had on top. What a mess. 

I poured the oil in the pot and began to let it heat.  I could not really roll out the dough as it explains in the directions, guess this is on account that I added too much evaporated milk, so I just spooned it in the hot oil. The fist batch was too heavy and the dough sunk and stuck to the bottom. The next batch was too light and it looked like a country fair funnel cake. The last batch was just right, the balls of dough floated and bobbed on the oil and after I drenched them with powdered sugar, we ate them all up!


In a mixing bowl dissolve yeast in lukewarm water. Add egg, sugar, salt, and evaporated milk.  Gradually blend in flour, mixing well.  Cover bowl with moistened towel and place in refrigerator overnight. Turn dough onto a floured surface and roll out 1/4" thickness. cut into 21/2" squares and allow dough to dry on floured board, 10-12 minuets before frying.  Fry in 1" very hot vegetable oil, turning one, cooking until golden brown, approx. 3 minutes. With slotted spoon, remove doughnuts and place on paper towel to drain. Sprinkle liberally with powered sugar.  Dough will keep in fridge for several days. Makes about 2 dozen.



*All these recipes come from The Plantation Cookbook-The Junior League of  New Orleans Copyright 1972

1 comment:

Post your comment in 4 easy steps...
1. Write your comment in the box below.
2. Choose NAME/URL as your type of profile.
3. Type in your name, it will appear with your comment.
4. Click POST COMMENT

Related Posts with Thumbnails